Signed line engraving, numbered edition of 60. Titled under mount in artist’s hand. Plate measures 17.5cm x 22.5m. Conservation mounted. Condition: Excellent.
Stanley Anderson CBE RA 1884 – 1966) was a British engraver, etcher and watercolour painter. Anderson was principally known for the series of highly detailed engravings of traditional British crafts that he completed over a twenty-year period beginning in 1933. Anderson’s artistic career began in earnest in 1909. He won an engraving scholarship of £50 per year from the British Institution and studied at the Royal College of Art under Frank Short, and at Goldsmiths College, New Cross. Anderson claimed, however, to be mainly self-taught from visits to the National Gallery and the British Museum. He joined the Royal Society of Painter-Etchers and Engravers as an associate in 1910, becoming a fellow in 1923. He was one of a number of young artists associated with the Painter-Etchers during the war years and immediately afterwards that were credited with reinvigorating that institution.
In 1925, he became the engraving tutor at Goldsmiths’ where he taught Graham Sutherland. From 1930 to 1952 he was a member of the Engraving Faculty at the British School at Rome. He became an associate of the Royal Academy in 1934 and a full member in 1941. His diploma work for the Royal Academy was The Wheelright (1939). He participated in the Venice Biennale as a main artist in 1928 and as part of group shows in 1924, 1926, 1928, 1930 and 1938. He exhibited at the annual exhibitions of the Chicago Society of Etchers and the California Society of Etchers.